Thursday, August 8, 2013

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)

Today's film is What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?  I was definitely a victim of over-expectations for this film.  I have heard so many great things about it and was expecting something twisted and terrifying.  This movie was good, it just was not what I had expected.  It was, therefore, a bit of a letdown.


Baby Jane was a spoiled brat child star.  She has a sister named Blanche who grew to be a successful actress.  Jane couldn't transform from child star to real actress and resents Blanche.  After a car accident paralyzes her sister, Jane takes on the role as her caretaker.  As years go by and their mansion falls apart, Jane continually torments Blanche.  Blanche wants Jane to get help for her alcoholism.  Jane, in return, takes away her phone, and serves her awful things like her pet bird for dinner.  Blanche, being trapped upstairs, tries her best to get help and escape.

One of the scariest parts is the times Blanche tries to get down the stairs.  I can't tell you how hard it is to go down anything, whether a steep hill or stairs, when you can't feel your legs.  Also, this is one of the reasons why I workout to strengthen my upper body.  I have also used a toboggan and sledded down the stairs.  Probably not the smartest idea, but it's a lot of fun.  Although, I think when she reached the phone downstairs, she really should have called 911.

The twist of the film is when Blanche tells Jane who actually caused the car accident.  I had no idea this was supposed to be a twist.  If you watch the car accident very carefully, you can clearly see who's driving.

I didn't see this movie as scary.  I saw it as very sad.  Blanche needed a caretaker and got the worst one.  Jane couldn't escape her spoiled child star status and descended into alcoholism.  Both of them need a lot of help.  I will give this film a 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment