Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Singin' in the Rain (1952)


I wanted to watch a movie Azalea could watch with me, so we both chose Singin' in the Rain. This is honestly the first time that either one of us has ever seen this movie.
We both enjoyed the songs very much. They were fun.  Neither one of us saw the point in all the tap dancing routines. I understand that it was popular back then, but my daughter was not the least bit interested.  It's really just them banging around with metal shoes on.
The movie is a musical in the era of silent films, which is funny because a musical is the opposite of a silent film.  Like in the later film The Artist, some actors and actresses just couldn't make the transition. Such as Lina Lamont, who is beautiful but dim-witted and has the worst sounding Betty Boop type voice I have ever heard.  So they find a stage actress named Kathy to dub over her voice so she can successfully perform in the studio's first talking picture.  I found out that some of the songs were actually sung by Jean Hagen, who plays Lina. So it's Kathy dubbing Lina, but it's actually Lina.
This movie is fun, with songs and dancing and a happy ending. It's a good movie for kids. I will give it a 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment