Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Inglourious Basterds (2009)




I wanted to like this movie. I really wanted to.  Quentin Tarantino's films are full of fun and violence.  When he was asked why he makes his movies so violent, he replied "Because it's so much fun, Jan!!"
Some moments were tense and full of drama. Other moments were full of action. The Nazis are evil and everyone enjoys seeing them get beat.  The Nazis are not 'people' like us. They are personifications of evil and deserve to be beaten with a baseball bat and branded.
I didn't like this movie because every scene dragged on and on and on.  I was so bored waiting for something to happen.  I completely lost interest near the end of every scene. And every scene came from something I've already seen before.  The entire scene where the American holds up the wrong three fingers in a German bar was a story my dad told me when I was little.
Why is this movie in the 1001 list? It is a fine example of revisionist history?  Hitler never went to trial or had to answer for his crimes. He killed himself before anyone could catch him.  But, here he dies in a barrage of bullets and fire. Do we feel that now he has received justice? What do we gain from this?
I think that if it's supposed to be a fun violent movie, I should be having fun. And I'm not. I'm giving this a 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment