Sunday, May 19, 2013

Gunfight at the OK Corral (1957)

I was disappointed in Midnight Cowboy, so I decided to watch an actual western, and I chose Gunfight at the OK Corral.

Here's the plot: It's about the events leading up to a gunfight. At the OK Corral. Got it?

Burt Lancaster was okay as Wyatt Earp. I mean his acting was good, and he's handsome; I just didn't like his character. I loved Michael Douglas' dad as Doc Holliday, who remains a badass gunslinger despite his illness. However, in this movie the word "tuberculosis" is never mentioned. I only know he had it because I watched Tombstone (essentially a well done remake of this movie) when I was little and my dad explained it to me. Thanks Dad. Did you know that in every scene Michael Douglas' dad preplanned all of his coughs to preserve continuity when the film would be edited later? True professional right there.

Doc joins Wyatt and his brothers to take down a gang of cattle rustlers.  We get to meet Wyatt's brothers towards the middle of the film. One of his brothers is Morgan Earp.


Wait a second, that's Bones!!!!!!!  I am so excited to see him! When I first watched Star Trek when I was six, there was an episode where Kirk and Bones go to the OK Corral. I thought it was so stupid to have a western episode in a show about space. But now I finally get it. It's a nod to DeForest Kelley's character in the movie. I'm giving this movie a 6.5/10.


It's a good thing they have a doctor from space in the old west, they're going to need it after this gunfight.

No comments:

Post a Comment