Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Anvil!: The Story of Anvil (2008)

This is the first documentary I've watched for this list.  Anvil was a heavy metal band that reached its peak of fame back in the 1980's, before I was born.  After that, they never achieved the success their peers reached. Normally I never feel sorry for anybody. I can't; I work in a resort and if I took every complaint to heart and gave them free stuff, we'd go broke.  But these guys I can't help but feel sorry for. They truly believe that they will someday make it big even though they're pushing 50.

Truth is they sound awful. They keep sending out demo tapes and at one point we get to hear it. And it's awful! And I enjoy listening to metal.  I have heard that after this movie came out, they finally received recognition and are putting out more albums, but I would never buy one.  But the movie isn't about metal. It's about people who have a dream so deep and sincere that they never let go of it no matter what. Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment