Tuesday, February 5, 2013

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

I decided the first film I would write about would be the one in the most top lists, 35 to be exact.  But honestly, I can't see what is so great about this movie. Yes, it was a visual treat, but seemed to be just an exercise in showing off the latest special effects technology, which in 2013, isn't much.

The movie starts off with a black intro, in which I thought my laptop was malfunctioning again. So I skipped ahead to the monkey scene, which has nothing at all to do with space, but let's watch it anyway. Suddenly a giant black bar thing appears near the monkeys.  Will this bar be explained? No! Next scene jumps randomly to space!  The movie cover said it was supposed to be a "dramatic film transition". I didn't know they meant "random-ass jump".

But now we get to see space. After all it is a space odyssey.  There is a micro-plot here about an evil computer that kills people. No, not Glados, HAL 9000.  However, the scenes are completely devoid of emotion. Aside from the visual aspect, there is nothing to hold our attention.

After the evil-Hal episode ends, Dave, the guy that HAL famously refuses to open the doors for, flies towards Jupiter. Apparently landing on Jupiter involves a techno laser light show.  Then, Dave appears in a stately 18th century home.  I can't even begin to explain what happens in the next scenes, and I feel the only way to really grasp what's going on is to read the book.  But why would I sit through an almost 3 hour movie if you're going to make me read the book too?

Overall I will give it an A-, because although it's supposed to be the all-amazing film, there is hardly any  plot, nothing is explained, and the pace is slower than I-4 in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment