Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Untouchables (1987)


I watched this movie last night and it really got me thinking.  Al Capone got his power because of Prohibition.  Right now, I could just walk down the street and get some liquor, no problem. There's no sneakiness, no crime. But if you make something like that illegal, then only the criminals will have access to it.   The city of Chicago was dependent on dangerous criminals to supply them with the alcohol they wanted. So it makes sense that certain drugs should be legal too, especially since it will get them out of the control of criminals. Most of the crimes in my town are drug-related.  Many states such as Washington and Colorado have already created legislation for marijuana to be legalized. I wish it would come to Florida, especially since it has been proven to help people with my condition.  We're too reliant on expensive prescription drugs controlled by pharmaceutical companies. Most overdose deaths are caused by perfectly legal prescription drugs. Once I accidentally overdosed on one of my medications. It caused me to have a seizure, among other things. I really thought I was going to die.  And people back then thought that beer was the problem?

Kevin Costner's character, Ness, is sent from the treasury department to deal with Al Capone. He doesn't want to kill anybody, he just wants to arrest Capone.  Sean Connery's character, Malone, tells him that sometimes you need to bend the rules to get the job done.  This shows how antiquated this time period is. Cops here in Florida today will give any reason to shoot someone, and that's the truth.  I really liked the accountant, Wallace, and how he handles a gun.  Then when Stone gets shot, he goes berserk and starts shooting, then whacks a guy with his gun. I like a man who can handle his weapon.  But, then there are the deaths, and we are sad.  Later, Ness and Stone start shooting people in a train station. When Ness shoots a man in the head, I shouted, "There'd better be some brain matter on the wall, not just blood! Details, people, details!!" And there was. I was so happy. I'm giving this an 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment