Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The 39 Steps (1935)


I just did not get this movie. I feel like I'm missing something. I keep hearing how Hitchcock movies are so great, but I have never seen anything special with them. This movie is no exception.

What was the point of the whole Memory man show other than a foreshadowing device, like the kind we learned in language arts class in fifth grade? It seemed so randomly thrown in there. And why did the spy lady follow Richard the Canadian? I didn't understand that part. And her death happened so quickly I had no time to process it.

The rest of the entire film concerns Robert as he evades from the police. Really? Am I supposed to be worried because the cops are untrustworthy and might catch him and mistreat him? Aren't the cops supposed to be friendly and never abuse their power? Please, I am from Florida.

And when they do catch him, they handcuff him to a woman. Yes, let's take a allegedly dangerous man accused of murdering a woman and handcuff another woman to him.


The whole time I was watching, I kept wondering, "What are the 39 steps? What are they? Are they steps for making a complicated pie? I hope they are steps for making pie." And it wasn't. The memory man said it so fast that I didn't understand it at all. Something to do with planes or something. Not impressed.  I give this movie 5/10. 

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you. Either I wasn't paying attention or there seemed to be something off about this film.

    ReplyDelete