Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Hangover (2009)

Happy New Year everyone! I thought this would be the perfect movie after the world's biggest annual party. The Hangover is the kind of movie I can watch over and over while drinking and it will always be hilarious.  Right now I'm having some apple ale.  It's an ale with a distinct taste of apple.  What a time to be alive.

The Hangover is about four guys who drive up to Las Vegas for a bachelor party.  When they wake up, they have no recollection of last night, and worse, the groom is missing!  Why is there a baby in the closet?  Whose baby is it?  How did a tiger get in the bathroom?  What's up with Mike Tyson?  All these questions will be answered and more.

I enjoy all the randomness that seems to spout out of Zach Galifianakis's mouth.  Such as "It's not a purse, it's a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one." and "It's not illegal, it's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane."  The only person more dedicated to comedy in this film is Ken Jeong.  He bursts butt-ass naked out of a trunk and starts wailing at the (now three) friends with a tire iron.  He wasn't even supposed to be naked! He just did it!


Some scenes are subtle nods to other movies.  For example, they stay in the same suite as the characters in Rain Man do, while Alan finds a book on how to win at blackjack and suddenly becomes a math whiz. Then you have scenes like the one above where a tiger wakes up in the back of their car.

Let's do a comparative list.  In their car, they had a baby, then a tiger, then a naked man with a tire iron.  In my car all I have is a car seat, toys, golf clubs, rainclothes, and a bocce set. Clearly these men are leading more exciting lives.

I have not seen either sequel of this movie.  But with this movie being so silly, how can the others surpass it?  Be even sillier?  I will give this film a 7/10.


2 comments:

  1. Good pick for new year. I laughed quite a bit at this film, too. I also loved the scene where the valet brings their car and it turns out to be a cop car. They all just try to play it cool, get in, and drive off.

    In regards to the sequels: the second had some laughs, but once again they wake up not knowing what happened and it already feels overdone. Still, it's not a bad film. Now the third one, THAT'S a bad film. I literally did not laugh once the entire movie. There was one scene early on where I'm sure I would have laughed if the trailer hadn't already spoiled what was going to happen. The third film was most definitely a cash grab by the studio and it's just about the worst film from 2013 I've seen so far.

    So, you're right that the sequels don't live up to the original, but I don't think watching the second one would ruin the first one for you. Definitely stop before watching the third one, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; I think I will hold off on the sequel for awhile..

      Delete