Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Fly (1958)

Today's film is The Fly.  It is so amazingly terrible.  This is one of the few movies in which the remake is far superior.  I think it's because the remake focuses on the scientist's point of view (the one who transforms into a fly) and this movie does not.

In this film, the scientist is dead, being squashed in a hydraulic press.  His wife confesses to killing him, but won't say why.  She also seems obsessed with flies, including a white-headed fly.  The scientist's brother lies and says he caught the fly, so she tells him what happened.

The scientist, Andre is working on a matter transporter called a disintegrator-integrator, which truly sounds like it was named by Dr. Doofenshmirtz.  Actually, I looked through his inventions and it turns out he did create a "disintegrator-inator" as part of his fitness lock-inators in the two-part episode "Where's Perry?"


Behold! My disintegrator-inator!
While he is in this disintegrator-inator, a fly gets in there with him.  So their genes mixed and now he has a giant fly head and one fly arm.  But, he keeps his mind so he can write notes to communicate.  That doesn't make any kind of sense.  If they switched heads, how could he keep his mind?  And when they finally find the fly with the human head, he speaks!  So both heads kept a human mind?  Where did the fly mind go?  Do flies have brains?  I really don't know.  The more I think about this, the more frustrated I get, like with a Rubiks cube.

So, anyway, the fly-scientist dies and everyone else lives happily ever after.  I can't say I benefited from watching this film.  I will give it a 4/10.



No comments:

Post a Comment