Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Muppet Movie (1979)

How much can I say about a film that has been loved for generations?  My grandmother watched it with my mom, my mom watched it with me, and now I watch it with my daughter.  My family has had this film memorized for years and my uncle gave me his copy of the soundtrack.  This film means more to my family than any other. For that, this film gets a 10/10.


I understand that the muppets are played by human beings.  My mom explained to me how Kermit was able to ride a bike.  Still, to me the image is fascinating.  Here is a supposed puppet moving a bike and no one is touching him!  I know it; Kermit is real. Actually, they all are and here's proof of them riding bikes:


So, in this movie, Kermit the Frog leaves his swamp to go to sunny California to audition as a movie star. On the way, he meets the rest of the muppets cast while avoiding Doc Hopper who wants to kill him/use him as a spokesfrog for his frog legs restaurant.  There are many funny instances, such as instead of telling Dr. Teeth's band their backstory (because that would bore the audience), Fozzie and Kermit hand him the screenplay.  The real stars of this movie are the muppets, but there are several human cameos, such as Steve Martin as a waiter and Mel Brooks as the mad German scientist who wants to electrocute Kermit.

The best part of this movie is the music!  Rainbow Connection is the best and totally gives me frisson.  Frisson is the tingly feeling you get when you hear a song that connects with your emotions.  In another song, Gonzo sings, "There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met" as the camera pans over the muppets.  So many feels!


Life is a movie
keep believing, keep pretending
We've done just what we set out to do
Thanks to the lovers, the dreamers, and you!

No comments:

Post a Comment