Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Grease (1978)


Today's film is Grease, a musical set in the '50s. Since most people have seen this on the screen or stage, I am going to write what I felt watching this as a child:

It used to come on TV all the time when I was a kid, and I thoroughly believed that it was a documentary filmed during the '50s featuring daily life.  At the time, it didn't occur to me that the actors were supposed to be in high school because they were so old!  I knew that they had to be in some kind of school, but I thought it must be a college, and I wasn't in high school yet so I had never to compare it to.

I did not know this was made in 1978.  I thought it was filmed in real time in the 1950's.  It did a good job of portraying what I saw as daily life then.  They talked about how cool their cars were, raced their cars, went to the soda fountain, went to the drive thru theater and so on.

I thought "Beauty School Dropout" was such a funny song.  I did not like the more romantic songs because they are gross.  I did like Rizzo's song "There are worse things I could do" because she has a beautiful voice.  Nobody like the "greased lightning" song because my dad said you shouldn't dance while working on a car.

Lastly, I watched the school dance and did not understand what was going on (are all school dances filmed?).  Lastly, everyone goes to a carnival and Sandy shows up wearing a tight black outfit as opposed to normal clothes.  Then, everyone sings again, and Sandy and Danny take off in the car the guys sung about earlier.  The car flies away with them in it and no one says a word.  Just flies away.  What.
Isn't anyone going to ask how the car is flying or where it is going?  Does no one care? I'll give this film a 6/10 for being an entertaining musical, but it is hard for a child to understand.  Cause I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment