Sunday, April 7, 2013

Carrie (1976)

The ultimate tale of revenge against bullies, Carrie is as relevant today as it was 37 years ago.


The sweet, shy Carrie is emotionally tormented at home by her overly religious mother, who hurls Bible verses that are worse than insults at her.  She receives no better treatment at school and is bullied by the popular in-crowd. Things get even worse when she gets her first period at school and the bullies throw feminine products at her.  Their teacher gives them detention, but that doesn't stop bullies. Not then and not now.

Carrie goes home and is abused by her mother again by insulting her and locking her in a closet.  This is where she discovers her powers. So she ends up going to prom in a dress she made herself, and for a minute she's happy. But we know what is going to happen when she's named prom queen.  As she looks around the room at everyone laughing, she unleashes her frustration upon them in a telekinetic murderous rage. Pretty decent special effects for the 70's. Also, she blows up a car with her mind. Car explosions and/or chases will always hold a special place in my heart.

The main thing I remember from when I first watched this when I was six is Carrie and her mother's death. Carrie's mom hugs her and then stabs her in the back.  My mom told me, at age six, "Don't let someone hug you or else they'll stab you in the back. Just like that! Look!" Shit I am 26 years old and I still don't like people hugging me. My mom was always telling me messed-up stuff like that. Anyway, film gets 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment