Tuesday, June 16, 2015

'I Know Where I'm Going!' (1945)

As the weather gets warmer, more and more tourists come and we are super busy here in Florida. I have been watching some movies though.  Today's film is 'I Know Where I'm Going!' which is a fun easy romantic film.

As with most romantic films, this one is predictable.  Our main character, Joan Webster, wishes for the finer things in life.  She is set to marry a super rich older man and travels north to reach him.  However, a windstorm prevents her from reaching the island where he is staying, and is forced to wait for him on a nearby island.  Meanwhile, she meets Macneil, whose family owns the island.

Oh, so she can't reach her fiance and there just happens to be a hot guy where she's staying?  Yeah this is easy to figure out.  There are so many romantic films that center around an already engaged person falling in love with someone else.  Maybe y'alls relationship should be stronger before you get engaged.  My friends just got married last week and they've been engaged for ten years.  That's a long time.


After a few days, Joan gets too impatient and demands someone take her to the island.  She even pays for passage to convince them to take her.  Macneil joins her because she doesn't understand the danger and that the wind will blow them straight to a giant whirlpool.  Which they get sucked into but pop out at the last second.  Then there's a castle which has no place in the movie with a really lame curse.  What does that have to do with anything.  Also the main characters both have dull personalities so I hope they are happy with each other.  I will give this film a 5/10.

3 comments:

  1. According to the romantic film genre the most dangerous time in any relationship is the last few days before the wedding and you have to hold on to your fiancé during the ceremony that he or she does not run away and marry somebody else. It is so absurd that it is actually hillarious and it makes me crack up every time that trope is used.
    For me the only really good things about this movie is the voice of Roger Livesey and the awesome whirlpool. Too bad most of that was filmed with back projection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this is the main reason I don't watch romantic comedies... :\

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I didn't care for this one much. I'm not sure why it's on the list (what aspect of movies it is representing).

    ReplyDelete